This course has been designed for kitchen garden educators who want to teach students the safe use of knives in the kitchen classroom.
Knife Skills and Safety includes self-directed learning which can be done at your pace. The five modules of this course include both text and video-based instruction and a quiz which deliver the course outcomes. The course also gives you downloadable resources such as templates and recipes.
• Understand the basics of kitchen safety.
• Understand the basics of knife safety in the kitchen classroom.
• Learn about knife parts and types.
• Learn about knife grips, techniques and cuts..
• Develop classroom management strategies on how to timetable kitchen sessions and choose recipes for practising knife skills.
• Test your knowledge and ask questions about knife skills and safety, and share tips on what works well.
The outcomes of this course are aligned to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers as outlined by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).
Completing Knife Skills and Safety will contribute evidence toward 1.0 hours of accredited professional development in maintaining the following standards:
4.2 Manage classroom activities
4.4 Maintain student safety